Do I need..?

Do I need a visa to enter Australia?

Of course! Well, unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen. For New Zealand passport holders, you can apply for a visa upon arrival in the country. For all other passport holders, you must apply for a visa before entering the country. There are many visas to choose from, including tourist visas and working holiday visas. For more information please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Visitor Visas

1) ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) Visa (Subclass 601)

You can make multiple visits within a year, of not more than 3 months at one time. This visa can be applied online and a AUD$20 service charge will be imposed if so. This visa however, is available to only the passport holders of 33 countries. For the list, please visit

2) E-visitor Visa (Subclass 651)

This visa is free. IT also allows multiple trips to Australia up to 3 months for within a year. This visa is available to passport holders of 36 countries . For the list, please visit

3) Visitor Visa (Subclass 600)

There are four streams in this visa. Namely Tourist, Sponsored Family, Business Visitor and Approved Destination Status.

Do I need a visa to work in Australia during a holiday?

Yes. There are two types of working holiday visas:
But you must be between 18-30, and not have an accompanying dependent child during your stay.

1) Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)
To be able to apply for this visa to work and travel within Australia, you must be a passport holder of one of these 19 countries. Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region- Peoples Republic of China, Italy, Japan, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Republic of Cyprus, Republic of Ireland, Republic of Korea, Sweden, Taiwan (Republic of China), The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

2) Working and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)
To be able to apply for this visa to work and travel within Australia, you must be a passport holder of one of these 21 countries.
Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, China, Hungary, Indonesia, Kingdom of Thailand, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Turkey, San Marino,Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, State of Israel, USA, Uruguay and Vietnam.

Do I need a visa to study in Australia?

1) For the following types of study, a student visa (Subclass 500) is required.

Schools (Primary and Secondary)
School Exchange Programme
VET - Vocational Education and Training
Higher Education
Postgrad Research
ELICOS (independent) - English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students
International students sponsored either by Department of Foreign Affairs or Defence

2)Temporary Graduate Visa - Subclass 485

This visa is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution, to allow you to continue to stay in Australia temporarily after your studies. Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) only once as a primary applicant.

3) Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)
This visa is for parent or guardian of the student visa holder. The student must be under 18 years of age or a student who is 18 years and older but needs care/support due to exceptional circumstances.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *